Contador headlines Saxo-Tinkoff's Tour team

AFP
Tour of Oman - Stage Three

Ad

Former two-time champion Alberto Contador of Spain will headline the Saxo-Tinkoff team at the Tour de France which starts on June 29, the outfit announced today.

The Spaniard was champion in 2007 and 2009 but was stripped of a third victory in the “Grande Boucle” in 2010 for doping.

Britain’s Chris Froome, runner-up behind Bradley Wiggins last year and one of the favourites this time round, said on Tuesday that he viewed Contador as his biggest threat.

Ad

“We enter this year’s Tour de France with the objective to win the race with Alberto,” said Philippe Mauduit, the Danish team’s sporting director.

“So obviously we’ve tried to pick the riders that fit the best to our overall goal, and we’ve tried to identify and bring together the competencies needed in the team to give Alberto the best possible support and protection over the three weeks on both flat roads and hectic finals, the hilly terrain, the mountains and the time trials.”

Ad

Mauduit added: “We believe we have come up with a really strong line-up, a great all-round team with a lot of valuable Grand Tour experience.”

Team

Michael Rogers (AUS), Roman Kreuziger (CZE), Nicolas Roche (IRL), Matteo Tosatto (ITA), Daniele Bennati (ITA), Sergio Paulinho (POR), Alberto Contador (ESP), Jesus Hernandez (ESP), Benjamin Noval (ESP)

Quick Links

Edited by Staff Editor
Sportskeeda logo
Close menu
WWE
WWE
NBA
NBA
NFL
NFL
MMA
MMA
Tennis
Tennis
NHL
NHL
Golf
Golf
MLB
MLB
Soccer
Soccer
F1
F1
WNBA
WNBA
More
More
bell-icon Manage notifications