Nobody took my fixing claims seriously: Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar

IANS
19th Commonwealth Games - Day 7: Wrestling

Sushil Kumar

Ad

New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) Wrestler Sushil Kumar, the only Indian to win two individual Olympic medals, said Friday that the sport’s administrators did not take him seriously when he revealed he was offered money to lose the final bout in the 2010 World Championships in Moscow.

“I had told even in 2010 about this incident, but nobody responded. I’m not in FILA (wrestling’s world governing body) or any other federation, so I can’t say if the Russian’s medal should be taken away,” Sushil told NDTV of his 66 kg freestyle bout against Russian Alan Gogayev in the World Championships.

Ad

The Indian rejected the offer and won 3-1. He said he was offered around Rs.3 crore to lose the title clash.

“I was approached through a coach to throw the final bout. I was offered about Rs.3 crores. Wrestling is huge in Russia, and I suppose they didn’t expect an Indian to enter the final,” said Sushil.

The 30-year-old won the bronze medal at 2008 Beijing Olympics and followed up with a silver at the London Games last year.

Refusing money is not new for the champion athlete. Sushil declined a Rs.50 lakh offer for appearing in a surrogate advertisement for a liquor brand.

Quick Links

Edited by Staff Editor
Sportskeeda logo
Close menu
WWE
WWE
NBA
NBA
NFL
NFL
MMA
MMA
Tennis
Tennis
NHL
NHL
Golf
Golf
MLB
MLB
Soccer
Soccer
F1
F1
WNBA
WNBA
More
More
bell-icon Manage notifications